Survival Tips For New Moms by Dr. Segura
SURVIVAL TIPS FOR NEW MOMS and those that love them!
1. Take a nap whenever you can! You’ll need naptimes as much as your baby does!
2. Get some fresh air with your baby! It’s okay to go outside, even that first week, as long as you are practicing social distance, the weather is not too hot or too cold, and your baby is covered from the sun!
3. Expect to feed your newborn around the clock! Housework can always wait!
4. Try to take a shower every day! It sounds so simple but it’s so easy to live in your pajamas and robe all day long for days at a time. Taking a shower not only helps you feel clean but also signals a new day and helps you feel refreshed.
5. Say yes to help! Ask your partner. If a friend or family member wants to drop off food or send you a gift! Always say yes!
6. Breastfeeding is hard! It takes time and patience and lactation consultants are amazing! Take advantage of your access to them while in the hospital. After you are discharged, you may need to make a follow-up appointment! They can help with your latch as well as making sure your baby is transferring the milk they need!
7. Continue to eat three meals a day, hydrate with lots of water, and take your prenatal vitamins if you are nursing! Have your partner help with meal prep!
8. It’s okay to feel frustrated and you don’t need to love every minute! Having a newborn is beautiful and exhilarating but also exhausting and sometimes boring.
9. We are all winging it at times! Even as a pediatrician, I was learning new things about my newborn that I never learned in my medical training or in clinical practice.
10. Trust yourself and your instincts mama! You’ve got this!
She previously worked at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) as an academic pediatrician and educator to the University of Pennsylvania medical students and CHOP residents before moving back to the DC area.